Finally, the official Linden Lab Second Life viewer Beta for Oculus rift is here. This is a short technical report about it.
So install was easy. Like a regular viewer. You just get another version of it named “Second Life Project Oculus Rift”
You then run the software (assuming your hardware is connected). You press CTRL+SHIFT+D and the screen turn into the familiar 2 bubbles for the Rift to process.
Once you are inside you can remove the interface (CTRL+SHIFT+U) to fully immerse yourself.
I used my old computer for this, so the graphics card was not the best.
- Usual rift experience of immersion but with your own content (AMAZING).
- Interface — BIG problem. Solutions will have to be developed cause keyboard is useless with Rift.
- Resolution — not as good (could be my graphics cards).
- Camera mode (“M”) did not work well.
- This show lots of promise.
Longer video of demo was published by Marc Weerts (now marked private): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSLQzZwSFrO3ObkLX9gatTwiYfPnN237J
See also another cool example of Rift.